Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sun's Up, Which Means The Countdown is On

Some signs of spring are universal; we all see and appreciate them. Others are more personal. For me the ultimate sign that we’ve finally turned the page on winter and can look forward to a summer of Thursday night J/24 sailing comes courtesy of my office window, but not in the way you might expect.

During the cold half of the year, at least when the sun is out, I have keep the blinds closed to keep the sun from boring a hole into my brain. But one day last week I came to work and realized that the sun’s arc through the sky was finally high enough that the golden orb remained tucked nicely above the ledge overhanging my window and I no longer needed the blinds drawn to see my computer and get some work done.

I love the view from my office window, especially in the spring before the leaves completely obscure First Beach. But I think what really excites me about not having to close the blinds on each sunny day is that it means another season of J/24 sailing is right around the corner. Yup, the calendar confirms it, just a month to go.

For more than a few members of Fleet 50, the 2009 season will get off to an early start with the 2009 J/24 Worlds in Annapolis, May 4 to 8. Among the local stars that will be battling the world on the Chesapeake are former class world champs Anthony Kotoun on Bomba Charger and Jens Hookanson on Salsa. Also sailing will be Peter Levesque on Mookie, John Mollicone on Evil Donut, Charlie Enright on Talking Heads, Tim Healy on Pop Rocks, Brian Smith on Cougar Treat, and Will Welles on Paraloc. And I'm sure there are a few other fleet members scattered throughout the fleet. Former fleet captain Bob Kinsman mentioned that he'd be crewing in the regatta. You can follow that results at http://www.j24worldchampionship2009.com

Hopefully after all the practice, the Annapolis YC Spring One-Design regatta this weekend, the de facto pre-worlds regatta during the 2009 Sperry Top-Sider Annapolis NOOD, and the five days of racing during the worlds, they’ll be burned out and let the rest of us shake off the rust in a timely manner during May. Yeah, I agree, that’s not very likely. Looks like a little practice might be in order over the next month. See you on May 14th if not before. And don’t forget to sign up in advance, the fleet management is making a push to get everyone signed up before they sail their first race. You'll also want to pick your week for race committee. This year every boat will be required to contribute two people for one night of race committee.

No comments: