Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Best Laid (Over) Plans, Plus Sail Thoughts from the World Champ

It was a great idea. And by was I mean not that it was a good idea that came to fruition. But rather that it was a good idea that, when it came time to become reality, wasn’t such a good idea. In fact it was a horrible idea.

Allow me to explain. This year we decided to practice before the first race of the season. We decided to put the boat in a week ahead of time, then practice the Tuesday before. While putting the boat in, we tried to run a new topping lift. We couldn’t run it that night, and it was raining. So we saved that for the practice day, when it took another two hours of effort. By that time it was getting dark and so, we started the season without any practice.

But it did seem like we’d accomplished something. While talking about the racing we remembered how often a quick jibe is needed when rounding the special race mark up by Hammersmith Farm, and how this wasn’t something we did particularly well, often getting beat to the punch by the boats right behind us. So we decided that our practice sets this year would always involve a quick jibe, with the trimmer and skipper working together and the rest of us following their lead.

Fast forward to last Thursday. The wind is up, the sun is out, it’s a beautiful first night for Fleet 50. We’re off the dock early with plenty of time to shake off the rust. We beat out the harbor from the Newport YC and then pick a buoy to round. “Set, then jibe, real quick like,” is the call.
We round, and set. But the spinnaker sheet is under the jib sheet. Time out. Re-run the spin sheet. “OK, throw it up,” It goes up, and 5 seconds later we go down. And I mean down, mast tip in the water, keel in the air, beer tumbling through the cabin. Whoops! Dave Reed hops over the rail, stands on the keel and we slowly right ourselves. What a way to start the season.

After pulling one crewmember back on board—I guess this is why they require lifejackets when you fly the blade—we take stock. Everything and everyone is in one piece, well except the starboard cockpit stanchion, which is flat on the deck. That’s not going to work.

The skipper calls home, and we turn for the dock. He’s got a spare coming to meet us. A quick pit stop and we’re back on the course in time for the first start. Just like in Indy.

The racing. Well it went about as well as could be expected after such a star-crossed start. But we kept the boat right-side-up for the remainder of the evening. So that’s a plus.

I emailed Scott “Chuck” Norris for his thoughts on his first-third performance in USA 1450. But he hasn’t gotten back to me. So instead, I’ve got an interview with world champion Mauricio Santa Cruz I did a few weeks ago, talking about the new rule allowing aramid fibers in genoas. I’m off to Detroit for the NOOD, so if anyone would like to put in their two cents on night two, feel free. See you in a week.

Maurico Santa Cruz is an independent sailmaker from Brazil, he's also a J/24 whiz, having now won three world championships, putting him second to some guy named Read. To find out more about Mauricio's sailmaking business, click here and here. Thanks for your time Mauricio!

Before the worlds, there was a lot of disagreement on the value of the aramid fabrics over the traditional polyester and PEN. Why did you feel it was important to use the new fabric for the worlds?
I had good conversations with Moose [McClintock, at Dimension-Polyant] and other guys from Dimension while the rule was changing. I visited them to know more about the cloth and I really like it. Back to Brazil, I talked with my sail designers – Ricardo Lobato and Horacio Camargo – to develop a new genoa. When the first prototype arrived, we didn't have any doubts about it. The new sail was faster in every training day. So it wasn't a difficult decision. First, the sail was about 2kg lighter. Second, the new shape we developed proved to be more versatile. We have the right people here in Brazil, so we could trust in our work and be confident on our sails.

Because the aramid fabrics stretch less, people thought they wouldn’t be as good in light air. Did you agree with this before the worlds or not?
The general idea is that you may need a more flexible cloth like Technora in a light-wind venue like Annapolis [Mauricio's sail was made with Twaron using D-Ps D4 MP process]. After the Worlds, I am sure aramid is better. We were very fast when the crew was fully hiking and I think the aramid sail is very responsive in this condition because it stretches less. I agree that there is some room for improvement in light winds for us. Actually, I was feeling a little underpowered when the crew was starting to go to the rail, but I don't think another cloth would help much on that.

With so little time to test before the regatta, how confident were you in your sail selection for the worlds?
We have two equal boats in Brazil and we did a good sail test program. I had already sailed in Annapolis and we worked hard in light winds. As a result, we have a special sail and a new sailing style.

Generally, what were some of your keys to victory in the regatta?
The victory comes with hard work! I know that many teams have worked hard too. But my key to victory is my team. I have a huge structure with everybody thinking on the boat and we are getting better and better. My team really knows what to do. So, I did not feel washed-out during the event. Of course, I truly believe that the new sail design and the cloth contributed for this title. We were also very fast downwind with a new spinnaker cloth. But I have to credit the title to the people and I would like to thanks everybody who worked with me!

No comments: